Yesterday I cleaned my closet.
For the first time in a long time, I was ruthless.
I asked myself hard questions like:
If I ever was this size again, would I really want to wear this again?”
“Why am I continuing to hold on to ____________?”
Once those questions were answered, a few bags were filled with what I realized were items mostly relegated to the back of the closet or the top out of reach shelf anyway.
What we wear is personal. What we clothe ourselves in conveys mood and often memories.
There was a dress that I wore to Carl’s 20th high school reunion and actually won a Macarena contest. I can hear the music and I can remember the easeful sound of the side zipper…side zippers don’t lie! Was it a fun night? Yes! Would I wear that dress again…in public…no!
Although it is not spring, I have been cleaning a lot. I worked on my work space as well which at times becomes a dumping ground for cast offs.
The cleaning isn’t so fun but the little discoveries can be little gems. I found four small pieces of paper where I had written a few notes. I did not write the origins but I thought that I would share them with you. They are questions to ask yourself when you are reading or studying the Bible.
Just like I needed to ask myself some purposeful question regarding my clothing…it is important to do the same with the Word. The great thing is that the living Word of God…always fits…never goes out of style…and it looks good on us! If you bear the stain from the Word…it’s a good thing!
I think I will tuck these notes in my Bible or better yet…along with my stuff!
S-is there a sin to avoid?
P-is there a promise from God to claim?
E-is there an example for me to follow?
C-is there a command for me to obey?
K-how can this passage increase my knowledge about God or
Here are some other questions:
- Have I asked God for insight into His Word?
- Have I read the verses immediately preceding and
following the passage?
- Have I scanned the surrounding chapters?
- Have I looked up words I don’t understand to discover the range of possible meanings?
- Have I asked…who, what, where, when, why, how, wherefore?
- Have I looked for logic indicators such as then, therefore, but, also?
- Have I identified Old Testament quotes and checked their context?
- Have I used a Bible dictionary to identify and learn about the people and places named?
- Have I used a study Bible to identify and read parallel passages?
- Have I checked cross-references in a study Bible to see what else the Bible says about this subject?
- Have I kept from focusing on details to the exclusion of main ideas?
- Have I double checked my personal interpretation with reliable commentaries?
- Have I asked what this passage tells me about God, myself and others?
- Are there any sins to be avoided?
- Any commands to obey?
- Have I thanked God for the privilege of studying His Word?
The Word is full of treasures to unearth…sometimes it just takes a little digging…and a few good questions.