First I will say that one of my favorite things is blogging in the privacy of my own home…our computer crashed this week and I am posting this at the library with a variety of other people to my left, right and in front of me…oh, the comforts of home!!!
It has been awhile since I have posted any of my favorites so here’s a few to add to the list…and they are not all food items!!!
- Trader Joe’s Lavender Dryer Sachets-pop the sachet in the dryer and your clothes will smell fabulous…after several cycles break open the pouch and sprinkle over your carpet and vacuum away these pesky odors…recycling at its best.
- Golden Kiwis-a nice change from the green variety and very sweet and juicy and less fuzz. Kiwis are a superfood so eat ’em up!
- Fuji Apples-nothing new here but there is nothing like biting into the crisp sweet and tart fruit.
- Asian Pears-kind of spendy but worth the extra pennies.
- Tuscan 3 Cheese Blend Kettle Chips-on a recent visit to see my parents, my dad opened a humongous bag from Costco to which my mom exclaimed to my father, “Bill, those the best potato chips I have ever tasted.” To understand the significance of this statement you would have to realize that my mom worked at the Nalley Potato Chip plant as a teenager and has disliked potato chips for most of her adult life….check them out if you dare.
- Baskin-Robbins Baseball Nut-Carl and I disagree who discovered this flavor first however, I know that it was me and he took a taste of my scoop and was forever won over…vanilla ice cream with a thick black raspberry swirl and a sprinkling of cashews…sounds kind of crazy but it is really great!
- Gelato-gives me a flashback to eating my weight in gelato through Italy…thankfully those were leaner days!
- Cranium’s Cariboo-for the younger set. This game blows the lid off of Candyland for beginning game players…gone are the days for hoping and praying for the Queen Frostine card to be drawn.
- Punto (Point) Classic Card Game from Italy by Avid Press. As it says on the card box: “The warm soothing sun, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, a spirited game with old friends…punto, the coffee house game from Italy.” We received it in a Starbucks gift basket from my mom when Courtney was born…Carl and I have had many a spirited game…that is for sure!
Our family loves Maurice Sendak…here’s two favorites:
- The Nutshell Library-a pint sized collection of A…Alligators All Around, Pierre, One was Johnny and Chicken Soup with Rice.
- Really Rosie…the classic animated movie or the soundtrack with Carole King singing…you can’t beat it!
- Return to Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins-the first time I heard this CD, my girls were little and I just teared up…and sent it to many friends…with little ones or not. It gave me the same feeling as the first time I rode the Peter Pan ride at Disneyland…another favorite.
- Speaking of music, Anything, Anything Margaret Becker sings, writes or hums!
- Java Logs-we don’t have a gas powered fireplace…we are a bit old school, but when we want instant flames, we love this log…not only is it ec0-friendly because it is made from recycled coffee thus the name but the logs burn longer than they claim and they crackle!
- What the Bible Is All About Bible Handbook by Henrietta Mears. She is considered to be one of the greatest Bible teachers of the 20th century. The handbook contains a wealth of knowledge and insight…priceless as you read through God’s word.
- Let Go by Fenelon-this is a small but mighty book that packs a spiritual punch. It could be a quick read if it weren’t so rich…it is meant for reflection and meditation. Fenelon was a spiritual advisor of a small number of earnest people at the court of Louis XIV who sought Fenelon’s direction to live a life of true spirituality in the midst of a court life that was shamelessly immoral. Can we relate that to our present day…absolutely! This book is a collection of letters he wrote to encourage and challenge this group of believers. Definitely worth the effort to track down.
- NIV Life Application Bible-I have recently retired my NIV Study Bible due to wear and tear. I am enjoying this new one a lot, although I do wish that I had invested the extra $20 to get one with a little larger print…it has great study helps, charts, maps and great points of applications.
- Becky Tirabassi-if you have never heard her speak or read one of her books you are missing out. She has an amazing conversion story and she has no less the passion of when she first came to the Lord. Her passion is contagious and it is a blessing that she is doing a great deal of speaking to this young generation. You will be impacted by her two most current books, The Burning Heart Contract and Sacred Obsession. Over the years, I have used her Personal Prayer Notebook and still do write out my prayers…she has had a powerful impact on me and I am sure you will catch her zeal for the things of God as well.
Whew…well, that is enough for now…got any favorites…feel free to pass them this way!
Take a bite out of life,