I had anticipated only including a few verses from this psalm that initially spoke to me but as I continued to read, I decided that the entire psalm was too powerful to not include.
1 I WILL bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My life makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble and afflicted hear and be glad.
3 O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.
4 I sought (inquired of) the Lord and required Him [of necessity and on the authority of His Word], and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
5 They looked to Him and were radiant; their faces shall never blush for shame or be confused.
6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The Angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him [who revere and worship Him with awe] and each of them He delivers.
8 O taste and see that the Lord [our God] is good! Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who trusts and takes refuge in Him.
9 O fear the Lord, you His saints [revere and worship Him]! For there is no want to those who truly revere and worship Him with godly fear.
10 The young lions lack food and suffer hunger, but they who seek (inquire of and require) the Lord [by right of their need and on the authority of His Word], none of them shall lack any beneficial thing.
11 Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you to revere and worshipfully fear the Lord.
12 What man is he who desires life and longs for many days, that he may see good?
13 Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.
14 Depart from evil and do good; seek, inquire for, and crave peace and pursue (go after) it!
15 The eyes of the Lord are toward the [uncompromisingly] righteous and His ears are open to their cry.
16 The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
17 When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their distress and troubles.
18 The Lord is close to those who are of a broken heart and saves such as are crushed with sorrow for sin and are humbly and thoroughly penitent.
19 Many evils confront the [consistently] righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
20 He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.
21 Evil shall cause the death of the wicked; and they who hate the just and righteous shall be held guilty and shall be condemned.
22 The Lord redeems the lives of His servants, and none of those who take refuge and trust in Him shall be condemned or held guilty.
Points to ponder:
- What does my speech sound like…is it complaining or praising? (v.1)
- Does my life make boast in the Lord or myself? (v.2)
- Do I make time to praise God privately and with others? Is this a characteristic of my conversations with others? (v.3)
- Am I seeking God and do I live like I require Him and His Word when I have fears? Is it easier to mutter, hide, call a friend or do something other than seek the Lord when I am afraid? (v.4)
- My dependence upon the Lord will change my countenance,it will banish shame and it will bring clarity. (v.5)
- When I am poor in spirit, I can cry out to the Lord and He will hear me and save me! (v.6)
- He will provide divine protection and deliver me when I assume a position of worship and reverence despite the reality of my circumstances and I will lack nothing that is good or a benefit to my life. (v.7, 9, 10)
- Such a familiar verse but if I don’t literally consume of God, I won’t experience His goodness and that He is my refuge. (v.8)
- I desire to live a long life, so I must allow life to come from my lips and not death. (v.12,13)
- I love that God wants me to “go for it” in my life…turn aside from evil and crave and go after peace…the world desires peace but seems to be seeking it in the wrong way or place. (v.14)
- The overflow of righteous living are God’s eyes on me, He will hear my cries and He will deliver me from all my troubles and hardships. (v.15, 17)
- When I sin and am remorseful and repentant; God will come near to me…no pointing fingers from my God. He redeems my life and I will never regret choosing Him as my refuge and fully placing my trust in Him. (v.18, 22)
- When I choose to live a life that pleases God…I will be confronted by evil but MY GOD SAYS HE WILL DELIVER ME OUT OF ALL OF THEM! (v.19)
Lord, once again, I am so humbled by the knowledge that You have done so much for me and I can do so little to deserve You. But I know that I don’t deserve to be loved the way You love me and I can never “do enough” to pay You back for my very life and how You have cleaned me up and made me presentable to You. All I have is my life which is really Yours…so today I fall at Your feet and whisper to You that I am Yours…no matter the struggle because it compares nothing to the enormous sacrifice that You made to give me a new life. I thank You that despite what I see with my own eyes, You are willing and able to deliver me out of all of it…I choose to rest in that and not lean on my puny understanding of my present reality.
I thank You that You know me and love me and that You will help me live each day to bring you joy and pleasure…so that others can see You displayed in me and I pray that will truly bring You the glory you richly deserve.